Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Højskole

Listening to: Sugar Pill by: Ambulance LTD.

Today Trine spoke at a Højskole which is an educational institute that you can go to study different areas of interest. It is mostly creative based classes you can take such as photography and music. These kinds of schools are located throughout Denmark. Anyone can apply for these schools. They cost some money but it isn't expensive like it is in America. It is a great concept and I have read about this before I arrived in Denmark. They are also called Folklore schools. I am very interested in maybe applying to one for photography. I think it would be a great experience. Since I heard about these kind of schools before it was a real treat for me to actually go to one. As we walked in the entrance the whole lobby area was like the outside. In other words they turned the inside into the outside. There were trees and plants all over. I felt like I was walking through a greenhouse. It was pretty amazing. We entered the classroom and Trine set up right away and began her presentation. She was showing all her photos that she has recently exhibited and they were breathtaking. The students really seemed to engage in what she was saying and asked a lot of questions. It is really interesting when you don't know the language how you observe people in a different way. I notice body language and facial expressions much more when I don't understand the language. On our way back to the studio I expressed to Trine what I thought of the presentation even though I didn't understand what she was saying. I was pretty much dead on about how the students interacted with her. Just goes to show you don't just need language to communicate.

I myself got to talk to some of the students who were from all walks of life and were some of the most inspirational I have come to know. One woman gave me information about an International Højskole that I am interested in checking out. I really love the concept and Trine was right this was a great experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment