Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Århus Part 2




























Listening to: Venus in Furs by: The Velvet Underground

After having a plentiful breakfast of eggs, bacon, bread, tebirkes and yogurt we all headed to The Old Town which is an open-air village museum consisting of 75 historical buildings collected from 20 townships in all parts of the country.

The museum buildings are organized into a small village of chiefly half-timbered structures originally erected between 1550 and the late 1800s in various parts of the country and later moved to Århus during the 1900s (from wikipedia.org).

I absolutely loved it and was very happy the weather turned out to be pretty nice too. It was definitely a tourist thing to do but when you are in Århus you must do it. As I took my pictures I noticed in the distance a tall newly constructed building which contrasted a lot of Old Town photos. It is called the Prismet and I found out there was much controversy in having this built due to it taking away the quaintness and view of The Old Town. It was finally erected in 2001. I must say that it is weird to see this building in some of photos when I am trying to project the feel of The Old Town. I could see why people were upset over it.

We spent most of the day going in and out of shops and houses which were preserved with the same decor as in that time. When I would go to the Brooklyn Museum I would always love the period room displays and that was just how it was when you would walk into each house.

After we explored The Old Town it was time to head home and along the way my friend and I went for a walk on the beach which was soo beautiful. Now it was time for me to head back to Copenhagen on a 3 hour train ride which I was weirdly excited about. Not excited about leaving Århus because I really enjoyed myself but excited about just looking out the window and seeing the different areas of Denmark flash before my eyes as I travel back to Copenhagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment