Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Århus Part 1





















Listening to: Fog by: Radiohead


This morning I am on my to Århus which is about 3 hours away from Copenhagen. My friend is going to visit her mother who lives there. I get picked up around 9:30am and we drive about an hour or so to the ferry. I have been on a ferry before but not one that holds cars and trucks. The ride was about 2 and half hours to Århus and I enjoyed every moment of it. I went out on the deck to take a number of pictures. We finally arrived and traveled about 15 minutes to where my friend's mother lives. It is a beautiful little house situated a few feet away from the beach. The house is hidden by a beautiful garden. The moment we got there a picnic table was set up with food for us. It was just perfect. My friend's mother doesn't speak English that much so a lot of conversation was in Danish but then when we both got to know each other more she spoke in English more and more. I really thought she was amazing. She is 75 years old and has as much energy as a 25 year old. She is a true inspiration. It rained most of the first day we were there so we just relaxed inside and ate a lot. All the food that was prepared was soo good. When we weren't eating we were drinking tea and coffee constantly. As evening approached with played some cards which was a lot of fun considering I haven't played cards in a very long time and it made me think of home. We also had a considerable amount of wine too which always puts everyone in a good mood. I also got to pick out some good reading material. A Leonard Cohen book called Beautiful Losers and a Truman Capote book called In Cold Blood. I have been wanting to read something and my friend's mom had a library of books that her husband acquired over the years as he was an English professor. Tomorrow we go to the Old City and I am hoping it doesn't rain. That is Danish weather for ya.

1 comment:

  1. What amazing photographs. You are very good with that camera. Glad you injoyed Århus. We loved to have you with us. Love from Mads and Julie

    ReplyDelete