Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gefahrlich

Listening to: Giant Steps by: John Coltrane

Well, this weekend proved to be quite interesting. I started bartending at Gefahrlich. I am scheduled to work every Friday and Saturday for the summer. The first night was stressful for me because I didn't know what to expect. I was trained by someone that was there for about 2 years and he knew how to do everything very well so well in fact I couldn't believe how precise he was at the job. I was impressed and a bit intimated. At first it was hard for me to grasp the amount of things that the bartender has to take care of on their shift. Cleaning, setting up the room and stocking the beer throughout the night. I just thought how are people supposed to be served in a fast manner if all that stuff needs to be done during the busy hours. Well, by the second night working I learned that Danish expect to wait to be served. With that mindset I was more at ease the second night. The first night was overwhelming but a good experience. I got the cash register and credit card machine down to a science and the drink orders. A lot of people couldn't believe I was here from NYC. They kept asking me why the hell would you come here. The answer is easy. I love it here and it is going to be a great place to spend the summer. A lot of the customers seemed fascinated by it all. It is really cool how they are soo open to foreigners. The staff at Gefahrlich are equally nice and are soo inviting to the fact that I am not Danish. I really feel like part of a family there. I think I am gonna get attached! At the end of the shift which ends around 5:30am or so after we clean up we all sit down and have a nice staff meal. It is soo nice to have a meal after you are done working. I hate going home and cooking something at that hour when all I do is want to sleep.

The second night working was great and I felt more confident. I worked with someone who wasn't there that long either. Everyone helps each other out there. Just like a family. I believe we pulled off the night well. However when it was all said and done I didn't get home until 9am. The guy who trained me the night before popped by and we hung out for a bit after my shift listening to some great music and having drinks. It was very hyggeligt (cozy).

I really think I will get the hang of it all and have a great time. There was a point in the past week where I didn't feel that way and I was asking myself what the fuck am I doing here???

No comments:

Post a Comment