Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bars and Bikes

Listening to: Collect Call by: Metric

It is a rainy Tuesday morning in Copenhagen but it is nice not to want to be outside and instead catch up on some work I want to do. I had a day that started out nerve racking but turned out to be really wonderful and reassuring that this summer is going to turn out to be really great. First off I went to the grocery store again which when shopping in a foreign country is always an adventure. I wanted to pick up a few more things that I needed because I most certainly am going to get sick of sandwiches so I thought maybe some canned soup. That is what I usually ate back in NYC. It is quick, easy and cheap. Geeze sounds like I am describing a hooker. ha. Anyway, do you think I could find a can of soup??? Not a chance. I later find out in Copenhagen they don't sell canned soup. If you get soup it is in the frozen section. I gotta see this for myself. This week I plan to pick some up and try it out. Apparently it is good and much better than canned soup. Then I get to the check out line and in order to separate your food from the others in line you use a plastic divider. Of course we use these in the states however did I ever think of putting up the divider for the person in back of me. Hell no! When I didn't I got a death stare. I am sure they were thinking "How rude of you not to consider others". You gotta brush up on your manners here or they will call you out on it. It is nice but I felt like an idiot just grocery shopping. I find in NYC we sometimes can't see past what we are doing and forget to consider others around that. CPH will teach me to get back on track with thinking of the people around me. So with that said there was an old lady struggling to cross the street with numerous bags in her hands so I helped her across. She was soo adorable and didn't speak a word of English. After that whole masquerade I got home made some lunch and sat out on the balcony to enjoy it. I love that part of the day where I can actually sit and enjoy a meal and on a balcony is the best. In the late afternoon I had a staff meeting at Gefahrlich where I will be working this summer. Everyone was soo nice to me and came up and introduced themselves individually before the meeting. It made me feel like some sort of celebrity or something. We ended up going over the schedule and I got a number of weekend shifts which is perfect. They are throwing me right into the fire right away starting this weekend. I am excited but also scared. The bar manager asked me if I was sure I wanted to work that much and just enjoy CPH. I told him I am soo used to working in NYC and I also need the money. It is fine with me to work a lot. It is part of the experience here. The whole meeting was in Danish and it was really interesting to sit there and just know a few words. How many Americans get to sit through a meeting like that. It was really cool. After the meeting we all went for drinks and just got to know each other. I really think I am going to get along well there. It certainly makes me feel a lot better. On my way out of the bar another friend of mine who I djed for a bout 2 years ago at Rust yelled out my name ..."hey DJ Shingara". It threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting that. It was soo nice to see him for sure. I also got a bike and rode it home about midnight or so last night. That is the best time to ride bike because it isn't busy and you get familiar with the lay of the land. I really love the bike I got. I just gotta know more streets so I will have no problem riding all over the place. I will be putting some photos of my bike up soon. Just wish the weather would turn so I can ride it around. Off now to the lakes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment