Thursday, May 7, 2009

DJ DJ

Listening to: Sex Tourists by: French Kicks

Music and art is soo valued here. I absolutely adore that aspect of this city. I am writing this at 3am on a Friday morning. I just got home from a party where DJs battle to claim their recognition into the Danish music scene. It was a pretty amazing time. My friend is good friends with the DJs Ladybox who were part of this competition tonight. We rode our bikes to this party that reminded me of something that would be held in Brooklyn. It reminded me of a speak easy in someone's backyard and they decided to open up this big space for performances. I am sad to say I didn't have my camera once again and would be uneasy to so I vow to get at least a disposal camera for events like these. The place was packed with people. There was an outdoor area and then you went into the main area where the djs performed. The one dj had a few friends with aerosol cans and igniting them with lighters as they sprayed flames in the air. It was really wild and would shut any NYC club down in a second. Everyone was soo into the music and even though it was soo crowded everyone was civil and courteous to each other. The Ladybox djs won the competition. I almost saw these girls play in NYC but missed them due to arriving too late to their gig. They are really amazing at what they do. I am soo happy to have seen them play. Earlier in the evening I had an amazing meal made by my great friend. I am hoping to get better at riding bike and as I left the party on my own tonight I rode alone and surprisingly found my way back to my place. I thought for sure I was soo lost and just kept riding. I didn't mind the fact that I could be very lost. I just kept riding and used what I had left of my sense of direction. By this time I had a few beers in me and wasn't totally sober. But I fell upon my street and got home safely.

Yesterday evening I djed at Gefahrlich and it was such a great time. My friends and I ate there first and had such an amazing meal. I was soo impressed by it. The meal was like eating at a high scale restaurant in NYC. We all got a few different dishes and shared. Gefahrlich is like the dive bar meets the upscale restaurant. It is really a cool place and I am soo happy to work there. Anyway after the meal I djed and I was a bit nervous because I never know what to expect as far as how people will perceive my music. I know where I can and cannot dj in NYC. CPH is different. I however knew my friend wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction. I djed how I normally do in NYC and it was the best time I had in awhile. I had a few people come up to me and compliment me in Danish. They didn't realize I was American until I kept saying what did you say??? I had people dancing and a bunch of my friends came that I haven't seen in such a long time. It was such an epic night. I ended up getting quite drunk though after my set and hung out with some friends. Danish beer is really crazy and I lost motor skill function so much I couldn't even ride my friend's bike. That is scary to say the least. I think I woke up drunk as well and finally got over the hangover at around 5pm. I do hope to dj a number of times there. I officially start working there tomorrow. Should be nerve racking and loads of fun. Off to bed now I must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment