Thursday, July 16, 2009

Den Internationale Højskole and Castles



































Listening to: Pictures of You by: The Cure

Today I traveled to Helsingør which is a city that dates back to 70 B.C. and is about 50 miles outside of Copenhagen. It is situated on the northeast coast of the island of Zealand (Sjælland) in eastern Denmark. The train ride is pleasant and about an hour. As I exit the train I see a beautiful landscape of water and boats and in the distance a castle. Helsingør is overlooking the narrow strait of Øresund. It was a picturesque day and quite warm as well. I took the bus to my 10am appointment at the Højskole which is about 5 minutes away. I had a nice meeting with the administrator there and got some literature on the upcoming semesters. I have yet to figure out if I want to study there or not. Only time will tell. Since my ride on the train was about an hour and my meeting was less than that I had to spend some time exploring this lovely town or municipality as it is defined as. I decide to walk to Kronborg castle that is the popular attraction there. It is immortalized as Elsinore in Shakespeare's Hamlet. I have never been to a castle before and it was everything I have read about in fairytales. A moat, a fortress, beautiful courtyard. It was truly amazing and breathtaking. The pictures speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment